The BC Literacy Council of the International Reading Association (BCLCIRA), commonly known as ReadingBC, has long been committed to improving student engagement in books and proficiency in literacy. Members read journals such as The Reading Teacher, Journal of Adolescent and Adult Literacy, attend conferences and get together to discuss things they have tried in their classrooms and communities and the things they’d like to try. Coming together with people with like minds is an energizing experience and lends itself to reflecting on practices that are tried and true and substantiated with research in the field. Members have readily embraced The International Literacy Association’s quest to start a worldwide Literacy Movement.
For the 2015-2016 year, Reading BC (BCLCIRA) is trying to broaden participation and the diversity of ways that literacy leaders in British Columbia can engage with other literacy educators both in person and online.
While it is increasingly difficult to organize and facilitate larger scale meetings due to high costs and increasing demands on our time, the ReadingBC executive committee has come up with some exciting opportunities to develop a variety of possibilities to engage in professional development and engage in community focused projects to advocate for literacy.
- Join a ReadingBC Book Club. Choose one of the books selected by members. Form a book club with peers.
- Participate in the discussion about a Book Club selection with colleagues via a TWITTERCHAT.
- Read Spirals of Inquiry (Judy Halbert & Linda Kaser) and decide on an inquiry question to pursue with a group of colleagues.
- Form a ReadingBC Community action focus to encourage children to engage in literacy activities or educate parents.
- Form a Literacy Committee if you have a well established group wanting to commit to regular professional development and advocacy in your area.
Check out the link below for ideas BCLCILA Projects.final (3) copy and opportunities to join the International Literacy Association . If you are a member of the International Literacy Association and live in British Columbia, you currently have a free membership to the provincial chapter, BCLCIRA / ReadingBC. We have designated funding to help members get started from a grant from the Lower Mainland Council of The International Association (LOMCIRA), a local chapter before it went into dormancy. Please check out the opportunities and send applications for funding or questions to the provincial coordinator at email@example.com or any of the other contacts on the website.
Hopefully this will forge some of the connections to continue building a community of literacy learners in British Columbia, and perhaps beyond.